[AUCTeX-devel] TeX-auto-save and files with the same basename

From: Vladimir
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] TeX-auto-save and files with the same basename
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 21:55:36 +0900

Hello developers of AUCTeX!

First, thank you for your work. AUCTeX, I think, is the great mode to edit LaTeX files!

Recently I faced with the problem which I already post to user mailing list I didn't get sufficient answer. So I address the problem to the developers mailing list (I speak about revtex4 and its rty file only for clarity):

I edit a master file named 'thesis.tex' using revtex4 class and I use supplementary file named 'thesis.rty' (this is a feature of revtex4) to place the document related actions: including packages, defining macroses and environments needed only for this document.
(I set 'TeX-auto-save' in my init file to 't'.)

Visiting master file and supplementary file cause creating 'auto' directory in the current one and writing file 'thesis.el'. If I edit the master file and after that edit supplementary file the 'thesis.el' file will be overwritten. Returning to the master file will cause again overwriting 'thesis.el' file. This means that I cannot use information extracted by AUCTeX.

Can anyone advise what to do?
I thought that it is possible to add extension information into name of 'el' file but I do not know well elisp and what else depends on the name of this file (I search first appearance of 'TeX-auto-save' in 'tex.el' file).

I use AUCTeX-11.84 and set the following file variables in my files:

Master file:
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% fill-column: 96