[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future of the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future of the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 18:53:30 +0200

On Fri, Jun 08 2007, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Reiner Steib (2007-06-07) writes:
>> On Thu, Jun 07 2007, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> I just unpacked the ZIP archive provided on ftp.gnu.org and it contained
> a site-lisp directory with a subdirs.el file.

It seems that someone uploaded a new zip file after my first download:

[...] 37852872 2007-06-02 14:38 emacs-22.1-bin-i386.zip
[...] 37853216 2007-06-03 19:21 emacs-22.1-bin-i386.zip

The later contains emacs-22.1/site-lisp/ and
emacs-22.1/site-lisp/subdirs.el, the former doesn't.

> Configuring, building, and installing AUCTeX with that Emacs
> distribution went fine.

Good to hear.

>>> So perhaps we should continue to provide the bundle for users mainly
>>> interested in using Emacs as an editor for TeX and related languages.  I
>>> think we should not compete with the binaries provided on ftp.gnu.org,
>>> so I'd continue to offer selected CVS versions.
>>
>> If your target are users who want Emacs as an editor for *TeX, I'd
>> suggest to offer Emacs 22 (either the releases 22.1, 22.2, ... or
>> selected/occasional version from the EMACS_22_BASE branch) plus the
>> current AUCTeX release.  I expect that the Emacs will become less
>> stable than in the past and thus not very suitable for these users,
>> IMHO.
>
> I'd agree with that but as mentioned before, providing Emacs 22 is --
> except for the convenience of having AUCTeX and image libraries included
> -- somewhat pointless if there is already an official download.

As the convenience of having AUCTeX included was the initial
motivation (IIRC), this is still a good reason for offering a bundle
containing Emacs 22.x (current release or EMACS_22_BASE) plus AUCTeX
(current release) [plus current RefTeX release, maybe?].  I don't
think such a bundle competes (in a negative sense) with the binaries
from ftp.gnu.org.

Just my 2 cents.  As you do the work, it's your choice. :-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)