Doc strings and Customize (was: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Change

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Doc strings and Customize (was: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/font-latex.el, v)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:40:11 +0200

* David Kastrup (2007-10-03) writes:

> In short: there is no necessity to have the exact same wording and
> spelling of the customization options in the DOC string: the DOC
> string should have a natural flow of words even when not looking at
> the customization options, and fit the grammar and spelling (so quite
> often, the customization option will be in singular, and the
> description in plural).  Of course, one will basically use the same
> catch phrase and also keep the order of descriptions and options
> strictly the same.

But then you are running at risk that the user is not able to make the
connection between a symbol and the respective choice in the
customization interface.  I seem to recall a user complaining about
something like that but maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me.
Perhaps we should repeat symbol names in tags.  If such connections are
made on the Customize side, they don't pollute the doc string which is
used elsewhere as well.

--
Ralf