Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Converting AUCTeX CVS to a modern dVCS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Converting AUCTeX CVS to a modern dVCS
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:14:50 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Ivan Andrus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Awesome!  I would love to see this happen, particularly if it can help
>> development along.
>
> That's one of my main reasons to switch: get Ivan to work! ;-)
>
>>> Opinions, problems, suggestions welcome!
>>
>> Personally, I'm a big fan of technical rather than political
>> decisions.  I don't know either git or bzr very well (I use mostly
>> hg), but I would slightly prefer git since there are several other
>> projects that I am interested in which use git.
>
> To me, there doesn't seem to be any major technical differences anymore.
> Bzr used to be very slow compared to git, but it has become quite usable
> in that respect over the time.
>
>> For some reason I thought that AUCTeX would eventually be hosted
>> inside the emacs tree.  Is that true at all?
>
> It's still a project goal, yes.
>
>> If that is a long term goal it _might_ be a reason to prefer bzr.
>
> Neither git not bzr have some sync-between-different-repos support, so I
> don't think there's any benefit in either direction.

Hm? git has submodule support.  You can pull to and push to a submodule.
To make this useful with regard to Emacs/AUCTeX, the Emacs part of
AUCTeX would have to be contained in a separate subdirectory.  I don't
know if Bazaar has anything akin to that.  Any kind of automatic
repository sync would require a compatible directory organization, and I
somewhat doubt that this would be easy to achieve.

--
David Kastrup