Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Make TeX output buffer inherit from special-mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Make TeX output buffer inherit from special-mode
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:22:18 +0100

Ivan Andrus <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ivan,

> Here is my first version of the patch.  Any comments welcome.
> Particularly I'm not sure my placement (at the end of tex-buf.el) is
> right, nor that the ChangeLog is detailed enough.

Looks good to me.

What's missing is some user documentation.  IMO, that should go
somewhere under the Processing node, either as a new section or by
revamping and extending the Debugging node.  (I tend to the latter.)

> +(defvar TeX-output-mode-map
> +  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
> +    (set-keymap-parent map TeX-special-mode-map)
> +    (define-key map "n" 'TeX-next-error)
> +    ;; (define-key map "p" 'TeX-previous-error)
> +    (define-key map "b" 'TeX-toggle-debug-bad-boxes)
> +    (define-key map "w" 'TeX-toggle-debug-warnings)
> +    (define-key map "i" (lambda ()
> +                          (interactive)
> +                          (with-current-buffer TeX-command-buffer
> +                            (TeX-interactive-mode (if TeX-interactive-mode
> -1 1)))))
> +    (define-key map "p" (lambda ()
> +                          (interactive)
> +                          (with-current-buffer TeX-command-buffer
> +                            (TeX-PDF-mode (if TeX-PDF-mode -1 1)))))
> +    (define-key map "s" (lambda ()
> +                          (interactive)
> +                          (with-current-buffer TeX-command-buffer
> +                            (TeX-source-correlate-mode (if
> TeX-source-correlate-mode -1 1)))))
> +    map)
> +  "Keymap for `TeX-output-mode'.")

In my opinion, jumping to the previous error is more important in output
buffers than toggling TeX-PDF-mode.  The latter has nothing to do with
debugging the output.

And these two commands would also make very much sense here:

,----[ (info "(auctex)Debugging") ]
|  -- Command: TeX-toggle-debug-bad-boxes
|      (`C-c C-t C-b') Toggle whether AUCTeX should stop at bad boxes
|      (i.e. overfull and underfull boxes) as well as normal errors.
|
|  -- Command: TeX-toggle-debug-warnings
|      (`C-c C-t C-w') Toggle whether AUCTeX should stop at warnings as
|      well as normal errors.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo