Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:32:20 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've hoped that with the new Git ELPA, we could just checkout the
>> savannah auctex repository as submodule, and then add some hacks to the
>> makefiles to produce tarballs suitable for ELPA.  Won't work, no?
>
> No, because:
>
>    I'd very much prefer not having to run code from
>    the package itself.
>
> so I can't just run your makefile rule(s).

Ok, I see.

>>> So, the real problems are:
>>> * Preview subdir:
>>> I see two clean and easy ways to deal with:
>>> - Split it (again) from AucTeX.
>> I'd prefer to keep it in auctex.
>
> Good.
>
>>> - "mv preview/* ./; rmdir preview"
>> I could live with that.  But why is a subdirectory a problem in the
>> first place?
>
> Because of the extra complexity in the build procedure.  Remember:
> it's very simplistic.

How about simply omitting preview from the auctex elpa package (at least
for now)?

Maybe (later) we could have a separate preview-latex elpa package more
or less by creating a symlink packages/preview-latex ->
packages/auctex/preview and running the very simplistic build procedure
in the former?

>>> * The .dtx files:
>>> Here, building the .sty during construction of the ELPA package is
>>> not really an option.
>> No LaTeX installed on the machine, or what's the matter?
>
> Same as "make": automatically running TeX code from random
> contributors is too risky for my taste.  But of course, TeX is not
> installed on the machine either.

By omitting preview, that would be solved, too.

Bye,
Tassilo