Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:04:40 +0200

>> "Mos" == Mos  <Mos> writes:

   > Hi Uwe,
   >> Hello
   >>
   >> Using latex+xdvi, correlation mode enabled
   >> latex runs with -source-specials and everything is fine.

   > How come AUCTeX runs `latex -source-specials'?  Which is your value
   > for `TeX-source-correlate-method'?  If it's `auto', which TeX
   > distribution are you using?

Is is set to `auto'.

I am using texlive (2009 since I am still on Kubuntu 10.04)
but I insist with my personal  setting unchanged and your patch applied to
11.87
auctex uses -source-specials for latex

   >> So either Moses patch was not applied to git, or I have to change my
   >> setting compared to the one I use for 11.87. (This is what I mean with
   >> backward compatibility).

   > If you set `TeX-source-correlate-method' to `auto' also in git
   > version, nothing should be changed.

But it is :'(

   > "Backward compatibility" is when old syntax is valid in newer versions
   > of a software,

Agreed, this is the terminology I use.

   >  "forward compatibility" is when new syntax is valid in
   > old versions of a software.  In git version we added a new possible
   > value to `TeX-source-correlate-method', breaking forward
   > compatibility, but other "old" possible values of that variable are
   > still treated in the same way they were, so backward compatibility is
   > preserved ;-)

But again: it is not preserved. With setting to auto now auctex uses
synctex instead of source specials.

   >> Footnotes:
   >> [1]  (BTW inverse+forward search does not work with
   >> xpdf??? right)

   > Forward search works for me, for enabling inverse search take a look
   > at http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TN#toc12

thanks for the link I will have a look.

Uwe