Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Hello and a question about missing AUCTeX features

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Hello and a question about missing AUCTeX features
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 17:30:38 +0200

Hi Marcin!

> Hello all,
>
> I have just subscribed to this list, so I'd like to say hello and thanks
> for AUCTeX!
>
> I'm a long time TeX user (about 20 years) and Emacs user (about 15
> years).  I've been using AUCTeX since I started using Emacs itself.
>
> However, there are quite a few things missing in AUCTeX which I'd like
> to have.  One is movement by TeX tokens, another one is matching
> \bigl..\bigr and friends, and there are more.

With "matching \bigl..\bigr" do you mean something like
`show-paren-mode' or auto insertion of the matching parenthesis?  We
have the last feature since 11.88, but you're probably already ware of
it.

> I have a good knowledge of (La)TeX, Emacs and Elisp, and I'd like to
> help implementing these things (and in general, working on AUCTeX).
> I don't have very much spare time, but I can definitely spend a few
> hours a week on AUCTeX.
>
> What should I do to help?

That would be great!  As you may know, AUCTeX is a GNU project and as
such we require contributors to assign copyright to FSF.  If you are
willing to do so and release your contributions under the terms of
GPLv3, then fill this form

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future

and follow the instructions in the header.  Keep in mind an assignment
for the AUCTeX package covers only contributions to AUCTeX, but
assignment for the Emacs package covers both Emacs and AUCTeX (and any
other package included in GNU Elpa repository).

After this, just submit to this mailing list your patches against the
current git version and we will discuss about them ;-)

Bye,
Mosè