[AUCTeX-devel] a conflict with auto-capitalize-mode

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] a conflict with auto-capitalize-mode
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 22:28:59 +0000

Hello

One of the packages I use in mail, LaTeX files etc is
auto-capitalize-mode written by Kevin Rodgers. Last version is from 2005
and Kevin does not maintain it any longer. The package as its name
indicates, auto-capitalize every word which starts a new sentence. It
also capitalize for example i --> I which is very convenient.

So far it worked well with auctex. However in order that it would not
work in math mode say change

$A_{ij}$ to $A_{Ij}$

Kevin suggested me the following code a long time ago
 (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'my-set-auto-capitalize)
 (defun my-set-auto-capitalize ()
 (interactive)
         (set (make-local-variable 'auto-capitalize-predicate)
              (lambda () (not (texmathp)))))

And when I switched from Xemacs to GNU emacs I first forget all about
it, but today I put it in and run in a problem.

Kevin's solutions works and avoids the unwanted capitalization, however
now at a price:

When I
consider
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{eq:test:1}
\int
\end{eqnarray}
\end{document}

Put cursor on eqnarray and run C-u C-c C-e to change it to equation it
gives

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\begin{equation}
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{eq:test:1}
\int
\end{equation}
\end{document}

Which is unacceptable. Any idea why now that command does not work?

BTW if somebody knows a better solution of auto-capitalization I would
be glad to hear about.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer