Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Integrating support for some viewers

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Integrating support for some viewers
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:05:28 +0200

Hi Ikumi,

Ikumi Keita <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Arash, thanks for your comment.  Sorry for being late to reply, since
> I don't subscribe to auctex-devel.  I found your message on the web
> archive http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/ .

I read this list also through Gmane, I use nntp://news.gmane.org/, maybe
that is more convenient for you as well.

>> Is there a particular reason why the remainder in tex-jp.el
>> shouldn't move into tex.el as well?
>
> The primary reason is being conservative.

Well, I think that applies to Emacs users in general ;-)

> I know little about these viewers, and cannot judge whether they are
> harmless for environments without Japanese support.  So I left them in
> tex-jp.el, which is loaded only when Japanese tex is required.  (At
> least the line relevant to xdvi is such an example because the
> construct `%(xdvi)' is defined in tex-jp.el.)
>
> So don't mind to move the viewers into tex.el if you know that they
> does not raise problems in non-Japanese tex environments.

I'm not OSX, so I can't say.  SumatraPDF is based on MuPDF, so it should
work without problems.  I used xdvi long time ago, it worked for me
then.  Reg. TeXworks and TeXShop, I can't say, I never used any other
editor than Emacs for LaTeX editing.

But I agree with Mosè that it also seems odd to me to use the viewer
from another editor, namely TeXworks and TeXShop.

Best, Arash