Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Fix for tex-jp.el

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Fix for tex-jp.el
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 00:02:44 +0900

Hi Uwe,

>> That is, does the existence of the functions
>> `get-coding-system-from-locale' and `current-locale' depend on the mule
>> feature?  Is it independent of the xemacs version (21.4, 21.5)?

> No it is not. Both are present in 21.5.X Mule but absent in 21.4 Mule/NoMule

Thanks for confirmation.  Then my observation about the availability of
those functions is basically right.

>> In addtition, I would appreciate if you have answers to the following
>> questions and could kindly tell them to me: Does xemacs have a simple
>> and reliable way to know the coding system accomanying the locale?

> 21.5 might, I am not so sure about 21.4, and I do remember discussions
> about this issue on the xemacs beta list some time ago. I will come back
> to you soon.

OK, I will wait for your reply again.

> (I confess my ignorance and assume Ikumi is your first name and Keita is
> your family name, an order which chosen by the european and arabic world. I
> hope it is correct. Ikumi is a female name? Is this correct? BTW Uwe is
> male. I am saying that since Uwe is not a very common name.)

Well, I'm sorry if this is disappointing you, but I'm a male :-).  Ikumi
is my family name and Keita is the given name.  But you don't have to
feel sorry, my name is surely confusing to other people.  Indeed "Ikumi"
is quite rare as family name and sometimes used as female's given name
here in Japan.  And it is very common for Japanese people to write given
name first and family name last in English sentence, following the
convention of European and Arabic culture.  But I am simply one of
people who think the order of name should follow the style of one's own
culture.  So I write family name first and given name last, as we
Japanese always do in Japanese sentence.

Best regards,
Ikumi Keita