Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 04:17:10 +0900

Hi Tassilo and all,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Then we could have 11.91.x releases with just compat fixes for
>>> XEmacs/old Emacsen but no new features, and with version 12+ we could
>>> start caring about compatibility only for the last few Emacs
>>> releases.
>>
>> Do you mean that the branch would be for fixes only, so that in master
>> we can completely remove hundreds of lines of compatibility code?  If
>> so, I'm all for this option.

> Yes, exactly.

For the sake of fairness, I leave here a record of a benefit obtained
from trying to keep support for xemacs.  The dicovery of the series of
bugs I reported about font-latex.el[1] were triggered by the warnings of
byte compilation in xemacs.  Since GNU emacs doesn't warn about those
code, the bugs were left unnoticed for a fairly long period if I didn't
test with xemacs.  In this sense, it is not bad to have two different
byte-compile optimizer at our hands.

Having said that, I also agree that such benefit is too small compared
to the burden of maintaining support for xemacs.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita

[1]http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2017-02/msg00029.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2017-02/msg00030.html