Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] support for xemacs
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:18:29 +0000

   > Hi Uwe,

   > You see?  We have *no* XEmacs user reporting bugs (apart from you that
   > migrated to Emacs), only developers using Emacs that sometimes start
   > XEmacs just to see if AUCTeX works.  That's fine until we're committed
   > to support XEmacs, but honestly I don't think that's a fruitful way to
   > spend our time ;-)  Forcing AUCTeX to be byte-compilable with XEmacs
   > requires us to use very old syntax and functions (or writing
   > compatibility functions for the purpose), which makes the code less
   > maintainable and efficient.

I am fully aware that I am Don Quijote here, but hey I live in Spain :-D

   > I'd like to use lexical binding in AUCTeX (I should put it in the
   > very-long term wishlist).  That's impossible if we want to support
   > XEmacs.  Actually, I fear that dynamic binding is very much wired into
   > many AUCTeX's internals, so a major work is required anyway.

Right, Xemacs does have it, that is on my todo list too, but on the list
of things I have to understand. For me dynamic binding looks natural and
that is why I still have not gasp the advantage of lexical binding.
Maybe one day.....