[AUCTeX-devel] use optional org-time-stamp for TeX macro date (TeX-arg-d

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] use optional org-time-stamp for TeX macro date (TeX-arg-date)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:40:27 +0000

Hi

I would like to use, optionally, org-time-stamp instead of the vanilla
TeX-arg-date. The advantate is that the calendar is called in it is easy
to select an appropriate date.

So I came up with this

(defvar TeX-arg-date-use-orgmode nil
  "Use `org-time-stamp' instead of the simple built in date TeX date function.
 is `nil'.")

(defun TeX-arg-date (optional &optional prompt)
  "Prompt for a date, defaulting to the current date.
If OPTIONAL is non-nil, insert the resulting value as an optional
argument, otherwise as a mandatory one.  Use PROMPT as the prompt
string."
  (if TeX-arg-date-use-orgmode
       (concat (insert "{") (org-time-stamp nil) (insert "}"))
    (let ((default (format-time-string TeX-date-format (current-time))))
      (TeX-argument-insert
       (TeX-read-string (TeX-argument-prompt
                         optional prompt (format "Date (default %s)" default))
                        nil nil default)
       optional))))

(I can send a patch if needed)

But I must admit that the implementation is very crude. Org-time-stamp
inserts

\date{<2017-07-13 Thu>}

Which is a bit ugly, that format can be changed but as I learned form
the orgmode list

,----
| Custom format time are applied during fontification time. The major mode
| you're using in your LaTeX document doesn't know about Org fontification
| rules.
|
| You may want to add some rules to font lock there
`----

So that is a bit though.

Any suggestions?

Uwe Brauer