Re: Use of lexical binding plus various other things

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Use of lexical binding plus various other things
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 02:18:09 +0900

> I think your patch is much better/cleaner than what I put in my branch
> (since it removes those hideous advice), so if you push your patch to
> AUCTeX's branch, I'll be happy to rebase my code on top if it.

Thanks, I just pushed it.

>> By the way, may I ask why many of :group arguments were removed from
>> defcustom despite of the existence of correspoinding `defgroup'?

> Because they're redundant: since Emacs-21, vars are placed by default
> into the group defined in the same file.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that! Thank you.

By the way again, here are two very minor issues about your update to
font-latex.el:
1. The doc string of `font-latex-keywords-1' was formerly
"Subdued level highlighting for LaTeX modes."
, but is now
"High level highlighting for LaTeX modes."
, the same as `font-latex-keywords-2'. I think this is just an
unintentional mix-up.

2. Now font-locking functions for the default keywords are defined at
compile time, not load time. Speaking very strictly, this makes
difference if the user alters the value of
`font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes' before loading font-latex.elc. I
think this is not a problem at all because users can/should use
`font-latex-user-keyword-classes' and
`font-latex-deactivated-keyword-classes' for customization purpose. (But
maybe we should announce that it is no longer valid to modify
`font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes' by hand.)

Regards,
Ikumi Keita