Re: auctex-devel Digest, Vol 190, Issue 4

From: Artemio González López
Subject: Re: auctex-devel Digest, Vol 190, Issue 4
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 18:45:01 +0200

On 11 Apr 2021, at 18:00, auctex-devel-request@gnu.org wrote:

Hi

Because of some bizarre reasons I have now also access to MacBook Air
running 10.15 catalina.
In order to have Linux like environment I decided to install fink.

Then, because of some problems with the compiled version of GNU emacs
master, I installed

Emacsforosx (emacs 27)

I copied all my linux emacs files to the MacBook, and finally installed
latex, https://www.tug.org/mactex/

I have doubting between directly install mactex or first install texlive
and then some scripts. I opted for mactex, but when I restarted emacs
and wanted to compile latex auctex complained that it does not find the
binaries.

I could try to set up a link to /usr/local/bin or something of that
sort, but would like to know what other Mac Users do.[1]

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  my «enthusiasm» for MaCOS if it ever existed is decaying rapidly,

Hi, Uwe,

I have been using TeXLive + Emacs on macOS at least since 2007 or so, with very few problems. I myself prefer a totally standard (non-customized) Emacs, and after using Emacsforosx for many years I switched five years ago to Macport’s Emacs, with which I am very happy. I don’t have too much experience with MacTeX, because I prefer to install the vanilla Unix TeXLive distro and then download directly the few Mac-centric programs I need (essentially Skim and Latexit).

It is strange that things don’t work right out of the box with MacTeX, since the current distribution binaries are always symlinked inside the /Library/texbin/ folder, so if that’s in your $PATH (which it should if MacTeX was properly installed) you should always find them. Try “echo $PATH” in the Terminal, and if /Library/texbin is not in your path add it by hand (create a file called TeX inside /etc/paths.d/ with the single line “/Library/texbin” (without the quotes). Alternatively, if you install the Unix TeXLive distribution you just have to create this file with the single line “/usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/universal-darwin” (to be absolutely sure, just execute “ls /usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/“ in the Terminal to check where TeXLive put its binaries in your computer).

Hope this helps,

Artemio

Artemio González López