Re: Provide style file for babel support for Brazilian

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Provide style file for babel support for Brazilian
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 11:51:37 +0200

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I have here `TeX-language-pt-BR-hook', and I don't recall why.  Why
>>> did you go with just "br" there?
>>
>> All other styles use this pattern, this is the reason why I took it.
>> Have a look over here[1].
>>

> That was not my point here.  I was just concerned if this language
> code was coming hardcoded from somewhere else.  But, if I understand
> it, this is actually a convenience hook for language style files,
> which is not actually being called from or generated elsewhere.  Is
> that correct?

This is actually a convenience hook for users.  From the manual[1]:

    5.4.1.2 Style Files for Different Languages

    Each style file may modify AUCTeX to better support the language, and
    will run a language specific hook that will allow you to for example
    change ispell dictionary, or run code to change the keyboard remapping.
    The following will for example choose a Danish dictionary for documents
    including `\usepackage[danish]{babel}'.  This requires parsing to be
    enabled, see Parsing Files.

      (add-hook 'TeX-language-dk-hook
                (lambda () (ispell-change-dictionary "danish")))

The name of the hook is chosen by the style author.  As far as I
understand AUCTeX uses ISO 639-1 Code for language names.  Following
this logic, I agree that there is no language code "br".

> If so, I think "br" is not the best choice here.

I changed it to "pt-br".

> Also, in that regard, perhaps using
> `LaTeX-portuguese-mode-syntax-table' for all four babel variants,
> including `brazilian' might make sense. Though there is a difference
> in the quote marks usage, there is none on the side of the syntax
> table.  But I'm fine either way, this is just "fine print".

I now have for styles: Main styles "brazilian.el" and "portuguese.el",
and "brazil.el" and "portuges.el" which just run one of the former
ones.  I think with this setup things should work out.

> Yes, for `portuguese.el' and `portuges.el', it is guillemots to the
> best of my knowledge.  Though I think a "FIXME" comment would be
> appropriate, as mentioned.

The styles are attached.  Can you please review them one last time?
Then I will push them to AUCTeX repo and also update the manual.

One note from my side: The name of the marks is `guillemets'[2]; guillemot
is a bird :-)

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]