Re: Provide style file for babel support for Brazilian

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Provide style file for babel support for Brazilian
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:06:23 -0300

Hi Arash,

On Mon, 03 May 2021 at 06:51, Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:

I now have for styles: Main styles "brazilian.el" and "portuguese.el",
and "brazil.el" and "portuges.el" which just run one of the former
ones.  I think with this setup things should work out.

A small follow-up/polishing report on these style files.

"brazilian.el" and "portuguese.el" add symbols for four convenience macros which are defined by `babel' in `portuges.ldf', namely `\ord', `\orda', `\ro' and `\ra'. While I had correctly reported they do not receive arguments, I started playing with them now (the style files made me remember they exist), and they do however gobble the following space. Hence they should be inserted with trailing empty braces, or `nil' argument in `TeX-add-symbols'.

A comment on this though. I'm not sure how important this is, or if these commands should be simply considered as outdated, since these macros are defined as:

#+begin_src latex
\def\ord{$^{\rm o}$}
\def\orda{$^{\rm a}$}
\let\ro\ord\let\ra\orda
#+end_src

Koma-script literally does not let me use it, throwing me a "Class scrbook Error: undefined old font command `\rm'." (short of `enabledeprecatedfontcommands', which these macros are not worth, of course). If it had let me, I'd still get a due warning from `nag'.

In light of this, do you think these macros should be even kept in the style files?

Best regards,
Gustavo.