Re: Patch to avoid superfluous output directories

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: Patch to avoid superfluous output directories
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 22:36:01 +0100

Hello Ikumi,

Apologies for the late reply. I've been somewhat busy these days.

> I don't understand the detail well. Why TeX-region-file is called before
> the File Local Variables section is parsed? Could you provide a recipe
> to reproduce the issue?
I enable TeX-source-correlate-mode in LaTeX-mode-hook. Then I get the following
calls when I open a tex file:

TeX-source-correlate-mode -> TeX-set-mode-name -> TeX-region-file

(Below is the complete call stack starting from `find-file-noselect`). This
happens before local variables are hacked (like TeX-master). In my case since
`TeX-output-dir` is set to non-nil (globally) then `TeX-region-file` calls
`TeX--master-output-dir` which creates an output directory if it does not exist
(without the patch I emailed earlier). Since `TeX-master` is not set correctly
the output directory might be created in the wrong location,

Let me know if you need more info.

,----
|   TeX-region-file()
|   #f(compiled-function (&optional changed local reset) "Build and set the
mode name.\nThe base mode name will be concatenated with indicators for\nhelper
modes where appropriate.\n\nIf CHANGED is non-nil, it indicates which global
mode\nmay have changed so that all corresponding buffers\nwithout a local value
might get their name updated.\nA value of t will thus update all buffer
names.\n\nIf LOCAL is non-nil and CHANGED is buffer-local, only\na local change
has been performed and only the local\nname is to be updated.\n\nIf RESET is
non-nil, `TeX-command-next' is reset to\n`TeX-command-default' in updated
buffers." #<bytecode 0x1565b29751e9>)(nil nil t)
|   apply(#f(compiled-function (&optional changed local reset) "Build and set
the mode name.\nThe base mode name will be concatenated with indicators
for\nhelper modes where appropriate.\n\nIf CHANGED is non-nil, it indicates
which global mode\nmay have changed so that all corresponding buffers\nwithout
a local value might get their name updated.\nA value of t will thus update all
buffer names.\n\nIf LOCAL is non-nil and CHANGED is buffer-local, only\na local
change has been performed and only the local\nname is to be updated.\n\nIf
RESET is non-nil, `TeX-command-next' is reset to\n`TeX-command-default' in
updated buffers." #<bytecode 0x1565b29751e9>) (nil nil t))
|   TeX-set-mode-name(nil nil t)
|   #f(compiled-function (&optional changed local reset) "Build and set the
mode name.\nThe base mode name will be concatenated with indicators for\nhelper
modes where appropriate.\n\nIf CHANGED is non-nil, it indicates which global
mode\nmay have changed so that all corresponding buffers\nwithout a local value
might get their name updated.\nA value of t will thus update all buffer
names.\n\nIf LOCAL is non-nil and CHANGED is buffer-local, only\na local change
has been performed and only the local\nname is to be updated.\n\nIf RESET is
non-nil, `TeX-command-next' is reset to\n`TeX-command-default' in updated
buffers." #<bytecode 0x1565b29751e9>)(TeX-source-correlate-mode t t)
|   apply(#f(compiled-function (&optional changed local reset) "Build and set
the mode name.\nThe base mode name will be concatenated with indicators
for\nhelper modes where appropriate.\n\nIf CHANGED is non-nil, it indicates
which global mode\nmay have changed so that all corresponding buffers\nwithout
a local value might get their name updated.\nA value of t will thus update all
buffer names.\n\nIf LOCAL is non-nil and CHANGED is buffer-local, only\na local
change has been performed and only the local\nname is to be updated.\n\nIf
RESET is non-nil, `TeX-command-next' is reset to\n`TeX-command-default' in
updated buffers." #<bytecode 0x1565b29751e9>) (TeX-source-correlate-mode t t))
|   TeX-set-mode-name(TeX-source-correlate-mode t t)
|   TeX-source-correlate-mode(1)
|   VirTeX-common-initialization()
|   LaTeX-common-initialization()
|   TeX-latex-mode()
|   apply(TeX-latex-mode nil)
|   LaTeX-mode()
|   set-auto-mode-0(LaTeX-mode nil)
|   set-auto-mode()
|   normal-mode(t)
|   after-find-file(nil t)
|   find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer bm.tex> "...bm.tex" nil nil "...bm.tex"
(1857370 2053))
|   find-file-noselect("...bm.tex" nil nil nil)
`----

Best regards
-- Al