Macro to exclude from filling (Re: bug#51762: 13.0.14; environment forma

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Macro to exclude from filling (Re: bug#51762: 13.0.14; environment formating)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:46:43 +0900

[ Changing CC address to auctex-devel@gnu.org ]

>> According to the comment, lines ending with `\\' are excluded from
>> filling on purpose, though I'm not sure why. Perhaps for the cases
>> inside environments like tabular, array, align etc.?

> Ah, I see.  Sorry for missing that.  While we're at it, should we also
> cater for \newline and \linebreak?  Currently, they handled as normal
> macro.  It should be easy to add them to the regexp.

> WDYT?

Hmm, I'm not sure. If my guess is correct, it wouldn't appropriate to
deal \newline and \linebreak the same way as \\, since they aren't
equivalent in tabular-like environments (that is, alignments are
specified by & signs). For example,
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{tabular}{ccc}
  ab & cd & ef \\
  gh & ij & kl \newline
  mn & op & qr
\end{tabular}
\end{document}
leads to the following error:
./xyz.tex:6: Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr.
<recently read> \endtemplate

l.6   mn &
           op & qr

On the other hands, it may be make sense to include lines ending with \\
in filling outside such environments.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita