Re: fail on regression test

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: fail on regression test
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:03:50 +0100

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> I skimmed over v2 and v3 documents of siunitx briefly. If I don't miss
> important points, the difference between them is that v3 adds some new
> macros (e.g. \qty), depreciates some macros (e.g. \si), and drops
> support for "s" type of column specification of tabular environment.
>
> Then why don't we just add support for new macros and retain supports
> for old macros as well as "s" column? In that way, single siunitx.el
> would serve both v2 and v3 of siunitx.sty.

I could live with that.  I'm not sure if the key-values from v2 work
also with v3.  I did a brief test by copying some snippets from the
manual which worked, but maybe it was pure luck.  Do you know more?

> In addition, v3 document says, in "8 Compatibility with other packages",
> that there are cases where the macros "\SI" and "\si" are needed to
> avoid macro name clash with other packages. So siunitx.el should provide
> support for at least those two even for siunitx.sty v3.

It explicitly says that one has to use v2:

    When the physics package is loaded before siunitx, the command \qty
    is not defined: users will need to use the version 2 command \SI.

    When the units package is loaded before siunitx, the command \unit
    is not defined: users will need to use the version 2 command \si.

> (Maybe siunitx.el should refrain from adding "\qty" support when
> physics.sty is loaded and "\unit" support when units.sty is loaded in
> the document.)

Maybe I'm misreading the above, but isn't that what siunitx is doing?

If the new key-values work with v2, I can add those old macros back to
siunitx.el and make a comment in the file.

Thanks for holding back my update frenzy :-)

Best, Arash