Gradually replacing INITIAL-INPUT in minibuffer

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Gradually replacing INITIAL-INPUT in minibuffer
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:11:35 +0100

Hi all,

Emacs itself is replacing the initial input in the minibuffer during
queries with default value which is less intrusive if one doesn't like
the suggested value, i.e., one doesn't have to do C-a C-k etc.

I'd like to suggest that we follow this change also in AUCTeX.  I've
implemented this already for minipage environment in change 36a6d80e1b.

The change in general will affect TeX-read-string, completing-read and
such.  My idea is to show the default value which will be used in the
prompt in order to reduce the hassle with M-n to find out which value
will come.

Before touching the rest, I like to discuss this here and hear from
users and developers what they think.

Any comments welcome.

Best, Arash