Re: indentation problem II

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: indentation problem II
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:17:56 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I tested your code, nice, some observations

Thanks for testing.

> Gives this
> \begin{equation}
>   \label{eq:testams:1}
>   \begin{pmatrix}
>     1 & 8 \\
>     &
>   \end{pmatrix}
> \end{equation}
>
> Could the & be aligned?

I'm not sure it makes sense to align those & since the alignment will be
lost as soon as you type a character.

> Now
> \begin{equation}
>   \label{eq:testams:1}
>   \begin{pmatrix}
>     1 & 8\\
>            ^cursor is there M-RE
>   \end{pmatrix}
> \end{equation}
>
> space
> \begin{equation}
>   \label{eq:testams:1}
>   \begin{pmatrix}
>     1 & 8 \\ \\
>     &
>   \end{pmatrix}
> \end{equation}
>
> This is of course not good. Not sure what to say.

I think the best choice is to avoid consecutive \\ and add additional
vertical space in the optional argument of \\, e.g. \\[1\baselineskip]
or so.

> BTW the mini buffer comment space, might be a bit confusing because if
> you use the space key you obtain [ ]
>
> Which is clearly not what you want 😉

What do you mean by comment space?  I'm aware of SPACE providing
completion in the minibuffer (like TAB or ?).

The issue is that "\\" is defined like this in latex.el:

where it doesn't provide any completion but reads a string.  Maybe we
should change this to:

   '("\\" [TeX-arg-length "Space"])
   '("\\*" [TeX-arg-length "Space"])

> But anyhow it is quite useful thanks