Re: Underline fontification

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Underline fontification
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:24:55 +0200

Hendrik Rommeswinkel <rommeswi@proton.me> writes:

> Looking through some old emacs bugreports I just found out about the
> variable overline-margin. If set to 0 instead of 2, overlines actually
> look great. They are exactly symmetric to underlines with this
> setting. So one could add overline fontification by adding an overline
> font and setting overline-margin to 0 in auctex buffers.

Can you please post some small screenshots exhibiting the difference?  I
mean, `overline-margin' has this docstring:

,----[ C-h v overline-margin RET ]
| overline-margin is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
|
| Its value is 2
|
| Space between overline and text, in pixels.
| The default value is 2: the height of the overline (1 pixel) plus 1 pixel
| margin to the character height.
`----

and `underline-minimum-offset' has this:

,----[ C-h v underline-minimum-offset RET ]
| underline-minimum-offset is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
|
| Its value is 1
|
| Minimum distance between baseline and underline.
| This can improve legibility of underlined text at small font sizes,
| particularly when using variable ‘x-use-underline-position-properties’
| with fonts that specify an UNDERLINE_POSITION relatively close to the
| baseline.  The default value is 1.
`----

Is the distance between the two lines so huge?

Best, Arash