Re: Showing compilation progress indicator

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Showing compilation progress indicator
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:46:39 +0200

Al Haji-Ali <abdo.haji.ali@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Arash for the suggestions. I implemented all of them.

Thanks for considering my suggestions.  If I'm allowed to make another
one, you have introduced

(defcustom procress--auctex-process-start-hook nil
  "A hook run after a TeX command process is started.
Passes the handle to created process as the only argument."
  :type 'hook
  :group 'procress)

The '--' notation indicates variables/functions which are privat in the
library.  I think it is wrong to use it in global variables defined by
defcustom.

> Actually, thinking more about it, I am able to achieve everything I
> want with the advice system.  I updated procress to call custom local
> hooks. This could become part of AUCTeX but it is not necessary for my
> case and might be reinventing the wheel.

Sounds good.

> All this functionality (and other) is implemented in Emacs' `compile`
> module. AUCTeX seems to modify `compilation-in-progress` manually
> instead of calling `compilation-start` as I believe is intended by the
> `compile` package. Other features, like error extraction, is also
> replicated in AUCTeX instead of using Emacs' `compile`
> implementation. I am not sure what the rational behind this is.

I can't tell for sure, but the usual suspects are compatibility with
older Emacs'en, compatibility with XEmacs, code was in AUCTeX before it
was in Emacs core etc.

> If AUCTeX is modified to use `compile` correctly, then I (and others)
> can use/write packages for Emacs `compile` and AUCTeX would be
> automatically supported.
>
> This can be a big change to AUCTeX and the only purpose of it is to
> have a more consistent Emacs experience, so I wonder if this would be
> something that the AUCTeX community would consider/is interested in
> pursuing.

Since AUCTeX dropped supporting XEmacs and also tries to support not so
old GNU Emacs versions, I think it is good to rely on functionality
provided by the core.  I'd say patches are welcome.  What do others
think?

Best, Arash