Re: Environment optional argument defect

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Environment optional argument defect
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 00:57:32 +0900

Hi Arash,

> Smarter solution is always a good thing :-)  Can you please elaborate a
> little what's awkward and you don't like?  Until now, I understood that
> the different keybindings are not good.

Hmm, actually I had only vague impression about it ;-) However, now I
came to have something more concrete in my mind through reconsideration.
The primary awkwardness is that a user who customizes
`TeX-insert-macro-default-style' to `mandatory-args-only' has to
remember always whether the macro has optional argument or not when
he/she is going to insert it. However, it's sometimes only after
C-c C-m that he/she realizes that "Gosh, this time I need the optional
argument." The user has to pay attention to type C-u before C-c C-m.
That adds extra loads to the user.
Ideally, AUCTeX should allow the user to toggle on the inquiry of
optional argument even after C-c C-m was typed, in my opinion. :-) I'm
not sure what is the best way to achieve that; maybe we can turn some
key bind without much importance during C-c C-m procedure, e.g. C-SPC or
C-left, to restart `TeX-parse-arguments' again.

> We could also add 'C-u C-u C-c C-m' to do the same thing as 'C-u C-c
> C-m' ;-)  I don't have a strong opinion on 'C-u C-c C-m' since I've
> never used this feature a lot.  'C-u C-c C-e' is much more in my muscle
> memory.

Yeah, I understand your concern. Thus I wrote
> But this change might not be welcomed by majority of AUCTeX users.
in my first message with respect to changing the key bind of
`LaTeX-modify-environment'.

Best regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine