[AUCTeX] Re: Yap and goto-hyper-label

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Yap and goto-hyper-label
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:29:37 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-12) writes:

> For DVI, Source Specials will mostly fill that gap, but for PDF it
> definitely would be an advantage.

AFAICS there is support for inverse search, e.g. by vpe.sty, but not
for forward search.  xpdf supports jumping to a specific page in
server mode.  If AUCTeX could determine the page in the output file
corresponding to the position of point in the buffer, we could
implement a poor-man's forward search quite easily.  Probably we would
have to inject something into the file which spits out the page during
a LaTeX run and can be parsed by AUCTeX in the run buffer.  Does
preview-latex have provisions for something like that?

Of course it would be nicer if no LaTeX run would be required.  But
that's probably only possible by using hyperref and jumping to the
nearest labeled destination which brings us back to the original
question.