Re: [AUCTeX] manipulating sections with auc-tex

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] manipulating sections with auc-tex
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:35:19 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-08-23) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As I am attracted to the solution with `outline-mark-subtree' because
>> of its simplicity, I'd use it despite XEmacs not providing it.  If it
>> is bound, use it, and if it isn't, use the code we currently have in
>> `LaTeX-mark-section'.  This will lead to different behavior on GNU
>> Emacs and XEmacs, but this will go away once XEmacs synchronizes its
>> outline.el with GNU Emacs'.
>>
>> What do others think about this?
>
> I'd prefer not to have regressions, so if anybody can think of cases
> where the current behavior would be preferable, we should at least
> leave it as a customizable option.  Not having used this, I don't
> really have a qualified opinion on that.

Besides a customization option we could use the prefix argument as a
"run-time toggle" for switching between both behaviors.  Although I
tend to think that `LaTeX-mark-section' is not important enough for
such a lot of influential options.

Anyway, that is not exactly the problem we were discussing.  Rather it
is if we should introduce a lot of new code in order to make the new
behavior (i.e. marking a section including subsections) available on
XEmacs.  That's what I don't really like.

What if we leave the standard behavior of `LaTeX-mark-section' as-is
and make the new behavior (provided by `outline-mark-subtree')
available via the prefix argument?  That way the normal behavior is
identical on Emacs and XEmacs but people with a moderately new
outline.el would gain the possibility to mark a section including
subsections.

> Ob, by the way: redirecting to the proper list.  Postings through
> sunsite.dk are a complete nuisance since I have to moderate them twice
> with different mechanisms and time lags.
>
> I'd be glad if other people did that too whenever they notice it in
> the headers.

Oh, sorry.  Either I didn't know that you had to moderate the
messages or I forgot it.