Re: [AUCTeX] Pre-compiled CVS Emacs with AUCTeX for Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Pre-compiled CVS Emacs with AUCTeX for Windows
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:50:33 +0200

Harald von Aschen <address@hidden> writes:

> At 14:23 15.10.05 +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>>* Harald von Aschen (2005-10-15) writes:
>
> [Colour error messages]
>
>> > Unable to load color "SystemWindowText"
>> > Unable to load color "SystemWindow"
>>[...]
>> > But this might be a problem of this Emacs release.
>>
>>This is no release but a development snapshot.  Anyway, I don't know
>>if these issues are caused by this Emacs being compiled on Windows XP
>>and then run on Windows 98.  If it is not, it would make sense to
>>report such errors upstream with `M-x report-emacs-bug RET'.  It could
>>well be that nobody has noticed these things until now because nobody
>>uses Windows 9x anymore.  I remember that a development snapshot not
>

> Hi Ralf!
>
> Do you think it is worthy investigating time in this issues concerning
> eventually only Windows 98? I'm really not sure.

AFAIR, Windows 98 is the last Windows version that is both reasonably
non-buggy and that does not require you to grant Microsoft networked
access to your computer with the option of destroying it without
recompensation.  The latter, for example, is not compatible with some
government policies.

My laptop has one partition with W98 for the odd tax return software.
Granted, I would not bother installing Emacs on something which I fire
up once a year.

I have no idea what the installed base for those actually _working_
with Windows software would be.