Re: [AUCTeX] problems with 'make install' in 11.81

From: Michal Jaegermann
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] problems with 'make install' in 11.81
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:05:23 -0600

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 06:25:23PM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> * Michal Jaegermann (2005-10-24) writes:
>
> > One more thing about this spec file I attached in the original
> > message.
>
> Are you aware that there is a spec file for AUCTeX 11.81 available
> from AUCTeX's CVS repository?

Nope!  I did not see any mention of it in annoucemnents nor I have seen
any rpm packages for that version availalble for a download.

> See
> e.g. <URL:http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/auctex/auctex/auctex.spec>.

Seems to look pretty close to what I made myself with this exception
that I am not aware of Suse details and I just followed the
previous version.

> I don't know about its state but if there are problems with it, any
> help in fixing them is welcome.

I still think that an an addition to %pre I suggested would be a
good idea.

> The spec file of AUCTeX 11.53 includes this:
>
> %preun emacs
> # $1 is the number of versions of this package installed
> # after this uninstallation
> if [ $1 -eq 0 ]; then
>   /sbin/install-info --delete --info-dir=%{_infodir} %{_infodir}/auctex
>   rm -f %{startupfile}
> fi

Indeed this is the case.

> IIUC this will take care of the startup file.

Except that it does not.  After doing an update with a package I
made, and which was missing that old %{startupfile} handler, I was
left with an old

   /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/auctex-init.el

everywhere I tried.  Obviously '[ $1 -eq 0 ]' condition is not
satisfied in the circumstances.  Besides you do not know.  An old
version could have been installed not via an rpm package and somebody
could have added there an extra code beyond "(require 'tex-site)" so
just clobbering it is not nice.  One can, and possibly should, spit
some explicit warnings if that file is found and renamed.

   Michal