Re: [AUCTeX] Trailing whitespace and RET

From: Uwe Siart
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Trailing whitespace and RET
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:46:37 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Uwe Siart <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I found that AUCTeX eats up trailing whitespace in the current line
>> after pressing RET. In case this is a wanted behaviour: Can it be
>> customized if it was undesired?
>
> Could you tell why you would think it a desired behavior? [...] So
> what situation causes you trouble?

You're absolutely right, David. Normally, eating up trailing whitespace
is desired. And I had my doubts that it is undesired or buggy.

The situation where it caused trouble: I tried to compose a rectangular
region with some material which I wanted to yank back at several
positions via rectangle registers. During composition of this
rectangular/tabular material within the TeX buffer, I found that RET
deleted those whitespaces (they were wanted here, for source formatting
purposes).

That's why I asked for the possibility of customization. Normally, I
make whitespace intentionally (for code formatting) rather than by
accident. So actually I don't need RET to automatically delete
whitespace. If it was possible, I'd turn this feature off. Calling
'delete-trailing-whitespace' if needed would be sufficient for me.

To conclude it in few words: Of course, multiple whitespace is not
needed for (La)TeX, but for code formatting and beautifying.

--
Uwe