[AUCTeX] Strange quoting behaviour in auctex 11.83

From: Rainer Thiel
Subject: [AUCTeX] Strange quoting behaviour in auctex 11.83
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:05:02 +0200

I have found a strange quoting behaviour in auctex 11.83 that I haven't
noticed in any previous auctex version.  I suppose it is a bug.

In German, I prefer « (<<) as an opening and » (>>) as a closing
quotation mark.  For that reason, I have put

'(TeX-quote-language-alist (quote (("german" "\253" "\273" nil))))

in the custom set variables in my .emacs init file.  This had worked
fine for years.

After I updated to auctex 11.83, while the right quotes are still being
inserted when pressing ", font-lock doesn't work correctly anymore when
german is active.  In the following example:

%------------------------------
\documentclass{minimal}

\usepackage[german]{babel}

\begin{document}

One «quoted» word.

\end{document}
%------------------------------

everything from the closing quotation mark is displayed as quotation,
which is quite disturbing.

There is an easy workaround though.  If I replace

\usepackage[german]{babel}

with

\usepackage[french, german]{babel}

everything works as expected.

I assume this is a bug rather easy to fix.  My apologies if it isn't,
and many thanks for auctex anyway.

Best

Rainer Thiel
--