Re: [AUCTeX] Extra braces in math mode

From: Yevgeniy Makarov
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Extra braces in math mode
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:13:30 -0400

Hi,

This is a follow-up to the question which was asked in March this year. The issue was that in math mode, AUCTeX inserts some symbols with extra pair of braces if it thinks that the cursor is not in math scope (i.e., not between $...$ or \[...\]). For example, `l insert \lambda{} instead of just \lambda.

I am wondering if there is ever a reason for inserting the braces following TeX math mode commands with no arguments. How does it help that in text mode \lambda is followed by braces? It is not allowed in text mode anyway.

On the other hand, there are some TeX commands from lesser-known packages which start math mode themselves (i.e., they don't require $ or \[ ). For example, the author of proof.sty recommends using \vcenter{\infer{...}{...}} for entering vertically centered deductions. If I remember right, Paul Taylor in his diagrams package does not recommend enclosing \begin{diagram}...\end{diagram} in display math. In such cases, I presume, AUCTeX would consider it a text mode and insert superfluous braces.

Yevgeniy