Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with getting preview-latex to work

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with getting preview-latex to work
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:08:11 +0200

Ion Mihai <address@hidden> writes:

> I get the following error message when I try to do 'preview-document'
> in Xemacs 21.4.19 and AucTeX 11.83 under Windows XP:
>
> "Display geometry unavailable: Symbol's function definition is void:
> display-pixel-width"
>
> Also, when I try only 'preview-at-point' I get:
>
> "Symbol'sfunciton definition is void:
> previous-single-char-property-change"
>
> Could somebody please explain to me why does
> this happen and what to do about it ?

You are likely using a version of AUCTeX byte-compiled with GNU Emacs
(it is conceivable that problems like that could happen also because
the version of XEmacs used for byte-compilation of the package has
been too advanced, in that case using byte-compile-file first on
prv-xemacs.el and then on preview.el should help).

So it would appear that you have something wrong in your XEmacs
load-path.

> Did I skip some step in the installation ?

More likely had one too many...

> (I just unpacked
> auctex-11.83-pkg.tar.gz, which I fount at
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex/, in
> my xemacs-packages directory;

That should be sufficient.  I hope you previously deleted any old
copies of preview-latex and/or AUCTeX.

> in the manual it is mentioned something about
> activating preview-latex by explicitely
> file doesn't exist at all...)

It does not say that for XEmacs IIRC.  For XEmacs, just installing the
package should work.