[AUCTeX] Re: Customize TeX-command-list via .emacs?

From: Alan Ristow
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Customize TeX-command-list via .emacs?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:55:52 -0500

David Kastrup wrote:
Alan Ristow <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all,

I want to change the command line that is executed when I run BibTeX
via AUCTeX. I prefer to issue a simple command in my .emacs file and
leave the rest of the commands in TeX-command-list alone, but I can't
figure out how to do it. The closest I've come is this:

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(setq TeX-command-list
         (append TeX-command-list
                 (list
                  (list "BibTeX" "bibtex --min-crossrefs=100 %s"
                        'TeX-run-command nil t :help "Run BibTeX with
min-crossrefs=100")

Obviously, this simply tacks a second command called BibTeX onto the
end of TeX-command-list, which is not what I want -- I want to replace
the existing command. Is there any way I can do this short of
explicitly writing out the entire TeX-command-list in my .emacs file
(as customize-variable will do)?

... (setcdr (assoc "BibTeX" TeX-command-list)
            '("bibtex --min-crossrefs=100 %s"
            'TeX-run-command nil t :help "Run BibTeXt with ..."))

Thanks for the quick response! However, when I add it to my .emacs file I get the following error upon starting Emacs:

Symbol's value as variable is void: TeX-command-list

This occurs whether I place the command inside or outside eval-after-load "tex". I have an append command of the same form as the one above inside an eval-after-load statement and it works just fine -- doesn't this imply that TeX-command-list is defined at that point? Regardless, the error comes up whether I place the setcdr command before or after the append command. I looked up setcdr in the docs to try to do some troubleshooting, but I got nowhere. As far as I can tell your syntax is perfect.

Thanks for your help -- you and Ralf have been very patient with me while I try to figure Emacs out.

Alan