Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX menus and changing "windvi" into "dviout"

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX menus and changing "windvi" into "dviout"
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:35:09 +0200

Please keep the mailing list copied.  I am not the only one who might
be able to answer your questions.

* Jan Kutylowski (2007-04-25) writes:

> Hi, thanks a lot for replying.
>
> Quoting Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>:
>

>> * Jan Kutylowski (2007-04-23) writes:
>>
>>> I would appreciate a hint on where I best find accessible
>>> information on adding items
>>> to AUC-TeX menu (for the newest emacs+AUCTeX from AUCTeX distribution site).
>>>
>>> I would specifically add gsview as PS previewer
>>
>> It would probably be better not to add a new viewer but to customize
>> the default view command.
>
> Why? Dviout does not yet produce proper output (when I declare special
> font families) and I do not understand (yet) how to fix it. (Windvi
> had certain problems here). I may want to view one file in dviout
> (default with TeXLive 2007, Windows), and another one with gsview.

AUCTeX picks the viewer based on the content of your document if you
enabled parsing as described on the first page of the AUCTeX manual.
The variable controlling this feature also is ...

>   You can do this with
>> `M-x customize-variable RET TeX-output-view-style RET'.
>> See (info "(auctex)Viewing") <-- Type `C-x C-e' here.
>>
>>> and (a related matter)
>>> invoke dviout and not windvi for use with TeXLive 2007.
>>
>> AUCTeX does not invoke WinDVI per default.  You must have changed
>> something yourself for this to happen.
> I was a little unprecise: so far I have been using the January package
> of emacs and auctex. In this one windvi was a default after I
> (supposedly) specified fptex as a TeX distribution [I have forgotten
> about this, and shall check the details.]  Now I am using the latest
> AUCTeX prepackaged. Would you advise me to get rid of that
> specification?

I have no idea how similar TeX Live and fpTeX are.

> What would be the default then?

Mostly settings for UNIX-style systems.

> I wonder about the decision not to have gsview as a viewer in the
> standard menu. What else would TeX users use to view Postscript files
> under Windows?

AUCTeX uses the abstraction "View".  The idea is that the right viewer
will be called without the user having to specify it explicitely.