[AUCTeX] Local variables and font-locking in AucTeX

From: gerald . jean
Subject: [AUCTeX] Local variables and font-locking in AucTeX
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:55:37 -0500

Hello there,

I have been using AucteX under Emacs for several years and have generally
been
pretty happy about it.  Recently I moved to Emacs 22 (22.1.1), under
Windows 2000, where AucteX is
now a part of Emacs.  I have a couple concerns which I could'nt solve:

1.- Every time I open a LaTeX file with local variables as follows:

    %%% Local Variables:
    %%% mode: latex
    %%% TeX-master: "FMD"
    %%% End:

Emacs pops up a buffer like the following:
The local variables list in "quick.tex"
contains values that may not be safe (*).

Do you want to apply it?  You can type

y -- to apply the local variables list.
n -- to ignore the local variables list.
! -- to apply the local variables list and permanently mark
     these values (*) as safe (in the future, they will be
     set automatically.)

     mode: latex
   * TeX-master: t

If I type "!" to permanently mark these as safe Emacs freezes for ever and
have to kill it through the Window's Task Manager.  If I type "y" it works
OK
BUT it does NOT "remember them as safe" as suggested by the doc. of
"enable-local-variables", which is set to "t"???

--------
enable-local-variables is a variable defined in `files.el'.
Its value is t

Documentation:
Control use of local variables in files you visit.
The value can be t, nil, :safe, or something else.

A value of t means file local variables specifications are obeyed
if all the specified variable values are safe; if any values are
not safe, Emacs queries you, once, whether to set them all.
(When you say yes to certain values, they are remembered as safe.)
--------

I find this very anoying since my machine is set to start Emacs
automatically
when I log on, Emacs then automatically tries to open everything that was
open
last time I used it, since I always have many latex files open I have to
hit the
"y" button many times and also each time I open other latex files!

Any suggestions to solve this?

2.- Font-locking doesn't work properly in latex files.  To get the proper
font-locking --- key words highlighted, different colors between {}, etc.
--- I
have to go in different places of the buffer and type <enter>??  Why is
this
and is there ways to correct this?  Yes I have font-lock on and
font-lock-maximum-decoration is set to "t" as well?

Thanks for any insights in these problems,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques, Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez reçu
ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named recipients
only and may contain privileged or confidential information which is not
to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake please destroy
all copies.