Re: [AUCTeX] adding C-c C-f C-p shortcut for \textipa

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] adding C-c C-f C-p shortcut for \textipa
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:42:28 +0100

* Roger Levy (2008-01-22) writes:

> I am a linguist who uses AucTeX and I would like to add a key binding
> for C-c C-f C-p that behaves exactly like other C-c C-f * commands
> (e.g., C-c C-f C-e for \emph), but introduces the textfont \textipa
> (from the tipa package, for the International Phonetic Alphabet). How
> would I do this? It looks to me like I need to customize TeX-font-list
> but I'm not sure the best way to do it (I'd prefer to doing this in my
> .emacs file directly to using Emacs customization menus).

This is surprising because 1) the customization interface is supposed to
provide an easy way of customizing variable for people not fluent in
Lisp (but not limited to them) and 2) the changes _are_ directly written
to the init file.

So you could do
M-x customize-variable <RET> LaTeX-font-list <RET>
(assuming you are going to use \textipa in LaTeX mode), change the
value, save it and be done.

If you really want to manually put some code which you might not
understand into your init file, then use something like the following
(not tested):

(add-to-list 'LaTeX-font-list '(?\C-p "\\textipa{" "}"))

> [this is also posted on gnu.emacs.help]

Simultaneous multi-posting is usually considered bad practice.  It often
leads to redundant support work and answers since people from one list
might not see what people from the other list have answered.