[AUCTeX] Re: error entering $

From: Jim Burton
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: error entering $
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:42:48 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> The AUCTeX source does not contain set-match-data (don't know whether it
> did in 11.83; grep for it).  But the compiled Lisp files do, probably
> because of a save-match-data macro.  So it would seem that you have
> elc files compiled with the wrong Emacs version in your path, or a
> set-match-data macro definition from the wrong Emacs version.
>
> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>
> might help in diagnosing the problem, but if I remember correctly, on
> Debian the list is rather depressingly large because of a fundamental
> Emacs package policy misdesign.

Ah, that makes sense! I did have horrible problems after accidentally allowing
apt to install emacs21 and emacs22. (I went back to 21 because VM didn't work
with 22 at the time). I could have sworn I installed and started using auctex
after that though, but maybe not.

It looks like auctex elc files appear in two places,
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ and /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/, I'll remove
them both and start again.

Thanks David & Ralf.

Jim