Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-command-list

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-command-list
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:12:48 +0100

Please keep the mailing list copied.

* gerald jean (2008-02-25) writes:

>> Do you want to print or view or convert them?  Or a combination of the
>> former?
>
> I mostly use GS for printing purpose, for viewing I mostly use Yap, except
> when I need to rotate pages, I then use GS.  For conversion I mostly use
> ps2pdf.
>
>> "Other" is used for prompting for a command.  If you want a command only
>> for the conversion of PostScript to PDF, add it to `TeX-command-list'.
>> If you want that as a step from compiling the document to viewing it,
>> you could add it the View command, for example.  (Not a nice solution,
>> but a pragmatic one with the current state of command execution in the
>> tool chain.)
>
> Yes, I do "only" want a command for conversion of ps to pdf, my co-workers
> (who sometimes need to read my documents) don't use LaTeX, and friends, and
> can't read ps files hence the conversion to pdf, everyone has Acrobat
> Reader.

If your LaTeX stuff is not too PostScript-centric you could use PDF
output via PDFLaTeX from the start.  (I'm probably not in the best
position to recommend it because I personally prefer DVI output.  This
is mainly due to the viewer.  I love xdvi for its speed and puristic
interface.)

> Unfortunately I am not very good at customization and I am not
> sure how to add the required command(s) to "TeX-command-list", but I'll
> try.

Unfortunately `TeX-command-list' is non-trivial to customize.  In
addition it is usually better to leave the default alone and just add
one's commands to it programmatically.  Here is how you could do that
for a "pdf2pdf" command:

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
                '("ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-command nil t) t))

If you are not interested in the output of the call, you could use
`TeX-run-discard' intead of `TeX-run-command'.  If you want to be able
to alter the command before executing it, use t instead of nil as the
fourth item in the list.