Re: [AUCTeX] code to include alternate name for a graphic when exported

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] code to include alternate name for a graphic when exported to HTML
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 12:48:49 +0000

Ralf,

Thanks for the answer.

In HTML and, indeed PDFs, there is an "alt" text option where you provide alternative text for the image.

In the UK and the USA, legislation (ad presumably other countries have their own legal requirements) requires that teaching material is accessible to all students, regardless of disability.

For blind students or students with serious visual disabilities, HTML screen readers or PDF screen readers can read out loud the content of the HTML or PDF file , and when they come to  an image , these screen readers use the "alt" text  to describe the contents of the image to the listener.

Acrobat Reader has this facility built in for PDFs and readers such as JAWS work with HTML http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws-product-page.asp

Before this, and I have only a minimal knowledge of HTML, it was still considered good practice to complet the alt text code so you provided some text for people using text based web browsers.

I have only just started with Aquamacs/Auctex/Beamer and it would have been useful to have created "accessibility" ready HTML direct from the Latex code, evern if this involved using something like Latex2HTML, but it would have been even nicer if the HTML could created directl from Aquamacs/AUCTEX, but that is a question I have raised elsewhere.

Graham

On 01/03/2008, Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:
* Graham Smith (2008-02-29) writes:

> The title really says it all, how to I include text in Auctex so that when I
> export a file to HTML, the graphics alternate text information is provided
> for the HTML version.

In LaTeX mode AUCTeX does not provide a way to generate HTML output by
default.  So your question would rather be related to the command or
program you configured for generating HTML.  Also, I don't really
understand what exactly the "alternate name for a graphic" is.