[AUCTeX] Re: Comment filling : I would like to make a contribution

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Comment filling : I would like to make a contribution
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:25:40 +0200

Ralf Angeli a écrit :
I don't think that this would be enough, because even though by some tampering with variable `paragraph-separate' one line of preprocessor code could be recognized as a single paragraph, this would not prevent that this line may be folded into two lines if it is too long, which would cause the absence of an Eupp end-mark for the first line, and of an Eupp start mark for the second line.

The idea was not to make each line a of the preprocessor code its own
paragraph separator, but to establish some separation between a normal
comment and the preprocessor code.  Then when you fill a comment
paragraph it will not mess up the preprocessor code.

The solution for the preprocessor code is simply not to type `M-q' when
point is in it.  In case there should be more control about how the code
is to be indented or filled, using a separate major mode which gets
switched on if the preprocessor code is entered and off when left would
probably be a better idea than shoehorning filling restrictions into
AUCTeX.

Then there are two drawbacks for that
1) the user has to care not to make a M-q when the point is in the pre-preprocessor code 2) the pre-processor code will split paragraphs into pieces, which I think is awkward.
I can still see some use for the definition of sections which should be
spared from filling (especially if a larger region is to be filled), but
perhaps there should better be a general mechanism in Emacs which could
be used or adopted by AUCTeX once it is there.

I do not object to this suggestion, however what you say is contradictory with the fact that currently AUCTeX does not rely on Emacs general filling procedure : AUCTeX uses function `LaTeX-fill-region-as-para-do' instead of function `fill-region-as-paragraph', just as if people wanted AUCTeX to be independant from Emacs fill.el.

If AUCTeX would use fill-region-as-paragraph, then I could modify this function to make into it some support for unfillable sections, but as AUCTeX does not use it (but use a copy `LaTeX-fill-region-as-para-do' of it), then I had rather make the checks and skips one level above (in function `LaTeX-fill-region-as-paragraph') as this seemed easier.

What you suggest would need that AUCTeX filling mechanism should be a layer on top of some general filling kernel provided by Emacs, whereas it seems to be currently a complete overload of Emacs filling procedure (w/o reuse).

*Please confirm your intention* :
do you object to my contribution ?
If yes, you seem however to see some need for unfillable sections, could you please tell me how I could make this function available in an acceptable manner, as I do need for it, and I am sure that other people may need for it too.