Activating and configuring Flyspell (was: [AUCTeX] A proposal for an ext

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Activating and configuring Flyspell (was: [AUCTeX] A proposal for an extension of AucTeX functionalities)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:55:41 +0100

* Daniele Tampieri (2009-03-05) writes:

>      I used flyspell and it indicates repeated words: thank you.
> Then I tried to load automatically flyspell by inserting the following
> line in my .emacs file (I saw it in the Learning GNU Emacs O'Reilly
> book)
> (setq-default flyspell-mode t)

In my case this does not work and you probably don't want Flyspell mode
active in every buffer.  If you only use it in LaTeX mode, you can use
something like
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook (lambda() (flyspell-mode 1)))
for activation.

> Well, it does not charge the default (American) dictionary: is it due
> to the fact that I also have the Italian dictionary installed?

I have no idea which dictionary is picked by Ispell (which might be used
as a backend for Flyspell in your case) per default, but this can be
controlled by the variable `ispell-dictionary'.  I'm no expert in spell
checking in Emacs, so if you have trouble you best start by reading up
on Ispell in the Emacs manual (See (info "(emacs)Spelling") <-- Type
`C-x C-e' here.) and if that does not help you ask in the gnu.emacs.help
newsgroup/mailing list.