[AUCTeX] forcing reftex to reload .bib file after external modification

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Subject: [AUCTeX] forcing reftex to reload .bib file after external modification of said file
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 07:11:21 -0400

Hi,

I searched the auctex list page and various other places (including
the reftex documentation) and I haven't found an answer to this,
somewhat simple, question.

Here's the deal:  I would like to force reftex to reload a .bib file
after I've modified that file with an external program (e.g., to
add/remove an entry from the .bib file).

Right now, I literally have to close and reopen emacs in order for
reftex to know that the .bib file I'm using has changed.  I figure
there must be a simple solution to this and all the other things I've
tried don't work (toggling reftex-mode, killing the .tex buffer and
reloading forcing a reparse, etc.)

Just to be clear, here's exactly what I'm doing:

1. Open a .tex file that has \bibliography{foo} and
\printbibliography{} in it (this is using biblatex).
2. After working some on the manuscript, I add a citation to foo.bib
(I'm using JabRef to maintain my .bib files).
3. `C-c [` does not list the new citation, no matter what I type, or what I do.
4. I have to close and reopen this emacs instance to get reftex to use
the newer version of foo.bib.

best and thanks in advance for any thoughts, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate