Re: [AUCTeX] spell checker (ispell-buffer) complains about products in m

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] spell checker (ispell-buffer) complains about products in math modes
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:19:11 +0200

* Nobuko Three (2009-06-13) writes:

> If I invoke M-x ispell-buffer to spellcheck my TeX file, it reports, for
> example, uvw and cx from $uvw + cx$. I guess the spell checker doesn't skip
> math modes.
>
> How can I make spell checker (ispell-buffer) skip math modes?

Something like the following might work:

(eval-after-load "ispell"
  '(let ((list (car ispell-tex-skip-alists)))
     (add-to-list 'list '("\\$" . "\\$"))
     (setcar ispell-tex-skip-alists list)))

But I expect it to be very fragile because it might get confused with
escaped or unbalanced dollar signs.  It would be better if this were
supported programmatically (e.g. with `texmathp') in Ispell.  Flyspell
does it like this.  Perhaps somebody interested in this feature could
propose this to the Ispell maintainer.