[AUCTeX] Hooks for command on region and command on master

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: [AUCTeX] Hooks for command on region and command on master
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:18:21 +0200

Dear all,

I would like to use different viewers when I view a region and when I
view the master file.

The reason is that I prefer to have GSView for region because it is
possible to ask reload with a command line option (namely -e) without
opening a new Window. However GSView is not that performant for a big
document, but it is quite fine for region.

On the other hand for the master document I would like to use
Foxit. Foxit does not allow to reload from command line. It does not
lock the file, but you have to close/reopen manually if you want the
view refressed. On the other hand Foxit is more performant than GSView
in many aspects.

So, what I had in mind is to have some kind of hook where
the variable `target' would be locally set to `master' or to `region'
when the hook is called. Then I would just have to put this kind of code
in my init file:

(add-hook TeX-view-hook
          (lambda ()
            (let ((a (assoc "^pdf$" TeX-output-view-style)))
              (when a
                (cond
                 ((eq target 'region)
                  (setcdr a '("." (concat (getenv "JPE_GSVIEW")
                 ((eq target 'master)
                  (setcdr a '("." "start \"\" %o"))))))))

Note that JPE_GSVIEW is just an environment variable where I stored the
path of gsview.

After digging into AUCTeX documentation, I realized that there is no
such thing as such hook. I can contribute so that this feature is
available if other people think that it would be good to have this.

   Vincent.