[AUCTeX] Automatically running makeindex

From: Joe Smith
Subject: [AUCTeX] Automatically running makeindex
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:10:09 -0400

From the AUCTeX manual section 3.2.1:
 If a latex run produces or changes input files
 for makeindex, the next suggestion will be to
 run that program, and AUCTeX knows that you
 need to run latex again afterwards-the same
 holds for BibTeX.

However, I cannot seem to get AUCTeX to ever suggest Index as the next command to run. Further, I could not find any code in the source to do that either. Is this not implemented? Was it previously implemented and then removed?

Or is this a local problem?