Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required

From: Andreas Kiermeier
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:31:39 +0930

On 4 August 2010 20:17, Jaap Eldering <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:59:23PM +0930, Andreas Kiermeier wrote:
> On 4 August 2010 18:30, Jaap Eldering <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Given that AucTeX already reports that you might want to run BibTeX or
> > LaTeX again to fix references/citations/etc, would it be possible to
> > create a separate command that tries to do all this automatically?
>
> Hi Jaap,
>
> I think you're looking for "texify" which will do the required runs of LaTeX
> and BibTeX to get references and cross-references right.
>
> I've included the following in my .emacs file, which makes the texify
> command available. You can then press C-c C-c in your latex file and select
> either Texify (to get a dvi file) or TexifyPDF (to get a pdf file).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

Hmm... I'm not quite sure I follow you: 'texify' should be a
commandline tool, right? I do not have that available (should it ship
with AucTeX?) nor can I find such a program by a quick search on the
internet. (Only a perl script 'texify' that transforms programming
code into formatted TeX, but that's not it, I guess.)

Adding the code below to my .emacs allows me to run these commands via
C-c C-c, but doesn't do anything (it also doesn't give an error that
'texify' is not available).

Best,
Jaap

> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>       (lambda ()
>         (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>              '("Texify" "texify -b %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode) :help
> "Texify document to dvi (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)
>         (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>              '("TexifyPDF" "texify -b -p %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode)
> :help "Texify document to pdf (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)
>         ))

No, texify doesn't ship with Auctex, but it does with MikTex (which is what I'm running). I actually thought that it might be more generic, but could be wrong. Apologies for making the assumption that you're running MikTeX on a windows machine.

I'd be surprised if other distributions didn't have something similar though (and I just saw that Dirk suggested "rubber").

Cheers,

Andreas