Re: [AUCTeX] Install fails with Emacs 24.0.50 on XP

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install fails with Emacs 24.0.50 on XP
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 16:10:36 +0100

* Uwe Siart (2011-01-05) writes:

> I'm having problems to install AUCTeX in Emacs 24 on Windows XP.
> Actually I can't tell if this is an Emacs or an AUCTeX issue:
>
> 'configure' runs fine. But on 'make' the system reports a fatal error
> caused by Emacs but without any detailed information about the error. I
> click "No" (don't send a report to M$) then the installation continues
> without any further error. Also 'make install' finishes faultlessly.

Are you able to pinpoint the exact command which caused the error?  Or
at least the make target?

In case make pauses when the error happens, the command should be close
to the bottom of the output.  In case you need to capture the output to
a file you can use something like `make install 2>&1 | tee make.out'.
The output will then be sent to the terminal as well as to the file
`make.out'.

> Any hints what could go wrong here? The identical procedure works fine
> with Emacs 23. I have no idea where to continue the search.

FWIW, I'm compiling AUCTeX regularly with a development Emacs on
GNU/Linux and don't get an error.

> I use
>
> - Windows XP
> - MSYS 1.0.11
> - Precompiled Emacs 24.0.50 2011-01-03 from
>   <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/>
> - AUCTeX snapshot 2010-12-06

Is that a snapshot from Uni Ulm?