Re: [AUCTeX] preview \cite

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview \cite
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:41:28 +0100

* emacs user (2011-01-13) writes:

> Hi all, I am trying to have \cite commands be previewed, so I can see
> the actual reference.  I put in the preamble of the latex file
>
> \usepackage[sections,displaymath,textmath,graphics,floats]{preview}
> \PreviewMacro[!]{\cite}
>
> and then I have ... \cite{myauthor}
>
> previewing this in gnu emacs (24.0.50), I get a question mark instead
> of the reference.  c-c c-l shows that latex complains about the
> reference being undefined.  I tried to run bibtex before doing the
> preview, doesn't help.   The reference comes out fine in the pdf file
> produced by latex.
>
> any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

FWIW, the following example is running fine with a development Emacs on
GNU/Linux with TeX Live 2009:

\begin{filecontents}{test.bib}
@Book{jones:99,
  author       = {Jones, Steve},
  title        = {My Life So Far},
  publisher    = {ACME, Inc.},
  year         = 1999
}
\end{filecontents}
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[sections,displaymath,textmath,graphics,floats]{preview}
\PreviewMacro[!]{\cite}
\begin{document}
foo\cite{jones:99} bar
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{test}
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% TeX-PDF-mode: t
%%% End:

The only problem I encountered was that the source for the preview is
not opened when point is moved over it.  This could be a regression in
Emacs.

With respect to your problem, does it work if you disable TeX PDF mode?
Or asked another way: What's your Ghostscript version?